Genting Highland officially known as Resorts World Genting and a self-proclaimed City of Entertainment, Genting is Malaysia’s wholesome version of sin-city Las Vegas. The primary draw is that Genting is the only place where you can gamble legally in Malaysia, but there’s also a theme park to keep the kids amused. The resort offers six hotels with 10,000 rooms, over 50 fun rides, 170 dining and shopping outlets, shows, business convention facilities and entertainment options. As a plus, being located up in the highlands means it’s cooler than the steamy lowlands. Many visitors come to Genting for the sole purpose of experience the chill, where the temperature can get to as low as 10 Celcius. Genting attracted 19.2 million visitors in 2008.
The distance of Genting Highland from KLCC is merely 56km, and normally take about an hour by car.
Let’s face it: there are casino, entertainments and theme parks there.
- Monte Carlo Casino, Genting/Highlands Hotel. This is easily the largest of the casinos and you’ll probably find your vice of choice in here somewhere — they even have a few video poker machines. Visitors with foreign passports are allowed to enter the “International Room” VIP zone if they agree to sign up to WorldCard.
- Hollywood Casino, Genting/Highlands Hotel.
- StarWorld Casino, First World Hotel.
- Arena of Stars, Hosts concerts and shows most weekends, but most feature B-grade Chinese pop stars or Western artists well past their prime.
- First World Plaza, Malaysia’s self-proclaimed highest shopping mall, this is an ungainly mix of indoor theme park and low-rent shopping mall with replicas of random landmarks from around the world, all covered with a giant metal roof that makes the entire place seem dark and dingy.
- First World Cineplex, Times Square, First World Plaza. Two small cinemas.
- Genting International Convention Centre (GICC). Convention center with various halls capable of hosting events, concerts and performances for up to 2,000 people.
- Genting Outdoor Theme Park, Features numerous rides typical of an amusement park, mostly suitable for families with the world’s first Twentieth Century Fox Theme Park.
- First World Indoor Theme Park, (located in the First World Plaza). Features numerous rides.
- All Park Daily Unlimited Pass for the combined Outdoor Theme Park and First World Indoor Theme Park.